Thursday, December 17, 2009

A question about the eye ointment cream in the hospital?

So a lady just asked about whether we allowed the eye ointment cream in the hospital or the hepatitis B vaccine and such. Well, I allowed the cream because I was told it was for the clogged ducts (to prevent it if they get it) and to get any other gunk out of their eye from coming down through the birth canal. Well a person responded farther down and said it was for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia - I believe. Am I thinking of the right ointment or is there possibly another one? I was not aware of this at all with the ointment, and I wouldn't have given it to him if I would've known this (not that I am too worried now, but still). Am I thinking of the right ointment?A question about the eye ointment cream in the hospital?
We didn't get it with 2 kids, 1 got it because it was an emergency and I was knocked out. It is an antibiotic, which shouldn't be used unless there is a risk. My husband and I are free and clear. Yes the Erythrymycin ointment is preventative for possible STD's. Another reason we wouldn't get it is because we have a lot of immediate family members allergic to alot of things like this including me. I am allergic to erythrymycin myself, and my little guy is allergic (very) to neomycin a vaccine ingredient, so he doesn't get them either. We got aluminum allergies too, no aluminum bad rashes and its in vaccines, and deodorant. Pain to get special no aluminum deodorant.





Erythrymycin is a catch all antibiotic, its used alot for 'pink eye' (conjunctivitis) among many other things





I do have an autistic son that is highly allergic to colloidal silver and any heavy metal for that matter.A question about the eye ointment cream in the hospital?
the eye ointment is preventative for infection, routine, safe...so don't worry about that....i would get the heb b shots, bc it isn't something u can get rid of once u have it ; i wouldn't think it is common in babies, but u never know what someone may have that they don't tell u about, and u can't tell by looks....
Yes, the antibiotics are used to prevent infection.








I didn't use either for my children because I had a home birth and didn't want chemicals being put into my babies eyes so I used colloidal silver.I am also STD free so I never had to worry about it.





They also are saying now that it is not effective for chlamydia...only gonorrhea.
they check for STDS twice while you are pregnant once at the beginning and once at the end..so wouldnt they know if you had the infection? not only that most women with STDS have c-sections so that way they dont pass it to the baby...I guess I will find out once mine is born..but I dont have an STD so idk..
i kno its for one of those stds... if they didnt get the ointment and they had the disease in their eyes they can go blind
The eye ointment is used to prevent the baby from getting any infection from the hospital. Its used for many many different things. Its used for all those things above. My son was given it when he had conjunctivitis. Why not give it to your baby if it prevents eye infection?





ETA: I rather put medication in his eye then breast milk plus at that point I was not breast feeding or expressing anything. Not everyone breast feeds I hope you know.





ETA2: Well when you take an anti-biotic do they tell you everything that it is used for? No most likely not because it is used for so many different things. The ointment is like an anti-biotic its used for everything. Infection and dust getting in the eye. Remember that in a hospital setting its so easy to catch something especially for a newborn baby who doesn't have much of a immune system. If my doctor had told me what it was used for right after I had my son it would go though one ear and out the other. I wasn't paying any attention to anything going on around me. My main focus was my new beautiful baby boy.
Yes, it's done in case mom has STDs. I do not, neither does my husband, and we are monogamous. There is no reason for my children to get the ointment. :)





***Breast milk cures conjunctivitis btw. :)





*LOL yes i know not everyone breastfeeds! I am on YA enough to notice. ;) But it does work; I even gave pumped milk to a friend for her husband to use on himself. It was hilarious!


I'm not sure why you'd choose meds over breast milk. If you had the milk, it would work. Natural is always the best option if it's possible. No side effects!





You're right, newborns do not have a developed immune system. So why then does it make any sense to put antibiotics in their eyes unless mom has the STDs? Antibiotics tank an adult immune system! It should be decided on a case-to-case basis, and not given as a blanket ';precaution.'; Our babies would be healthier overall if less of them began life with antibiotics....sigh.


The colloidal silver mentioned is a great alternative!! :)
Well, I looked online, because I did have it put in my son's eyes and they said that it prevented different infections. I have not had any sexually transmitted diseases, and neither did my husband - I had a c-section - so I wondered why they did that because most websites specifically talk about the infections they can pick up in the birth canal and found this little tidbit: ';It is also important to note that the bacteria have been found in the eyes of newborns delivered by c-section. As these babies never passed through the birth canal, the bacteria may be transmitted through the air, or on the hands of nurses, doctors, and other caregivers.'; - interesting if nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment