Monday, December 21, 2009

I was told by my vet my dog has allergies. Are there any natural creams or ointments for scratching?

Are there any natural creams or ointments I can put on my dog's coat to help with the scratching?I was told by my vet my dog has allergies. Are there any natural creams or ointments for scratching?
It would be best to try to find the cause of the allergy. Food allergies are a typical cause of itching - most commercial dog foods contain corn, soy, and/or wheat products, which are common allergens. You might try a food without these ingredients, and see if there's any improvement.





My dog had lots of allergy symptoms when I first got her. I switched her to Wellness dog food, and the scratching and other symptoms cleared up pretty quickly.I was told by my vet my dog has allergies. Are there any natural creams or ointments for scratching?
I'm sorry to hear that your dog has allergies.





Dogs can sometimes develop allergies to any protein-containing ingredient in their food. The problem develops not because the food or ingredient is ';bad'; or ';poor quality';, but rather because the dog has a hypersensitive immune system; therefore, switching your dog to a product that does not contain the ingredient your dog developed an allergy to will solve the problem. Only your veterinarian can determine exactly what ingredient that might have been.





The only definite diagnosis of food allergy in dogs and cats is an elimination/provocation exposure test, which is time consuming and burdensome. Blood or serum testing is a commonly used tool; however, the results are not totally conclusive and are better used as a guideline. Diets with “suspect” ingredients may work well for your dog.





I work for P%26amp;G Pet Care and my Shih tzu has allergies as well. I feed him the Eukanuba Sensitive Skin Formula. This is an ocean fish based diet that avoids some of the common protein sources that your dog could be allergic to. This food works great for my dog to stop his itching and scratching.





Here is a link if you are interested in this food.


http://www.eukanuba.com/EukGlobal/US/en/jsp/product/productDetail/Sensitive%20Skin.jsp?id=1030





I hope this helps. I wish you the very best with your four-legged friend
Teatree oil shampoo tends to help, although you can't bath them too much. If it's just something in his diet, change it and it'll be better for him. If its something you can in no way change, like a grass allergy or something, use teatree.
Try giving your dog fish oil pills, they are supposed to refine the dogs coat. For the allergies you could give your dog a benadryl or other type of allergy pill, its not natural, but it helps.
I am dealing w/ the same issue right now. I am starting my dog on fish oil supplements. Do some research on it, you may want to give it a try.
  • tickets
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment