Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cream/ointment for relief of shingles pain?

My elderly mother - already in poor health has shingles - got the antiviral tablets but having a lot of pain with the rash. Have had success with various rashes with Sudocrem but carer says can ';burn'; skin so wary of putting on Mum's shingles rash - anyone recommend something available in UK? I know there's an acyclovir ointment but wold think that is more to help get rid of than to soothe.Cream/ointment for relief of shingles pain?
I had shingles a couple of years ago...I feel for your mother...it's awful


I didn't put anything on the rash - just used painkillers. Even then it still hurt.


Ask a doctor or a pharmacist, they may be able to tell you what to use


The only thing I found that soothed it a bit was to keep the area cool - difficult when it's round your middle, but I found it hurt more when I got hotter





Hope this might be of some help, I don't know what else to suggest, sorryCream/ointment for relief of shingles pain?
The pain of shingles is not skin related, but rather an irritation of the nerves (where the shingles virus resides). Hence, other than soothing cool wet compresses to the rash of the shingles, in an attempt to help dry up the blisters a bit quicker, you have to treat the actual neuralgia with systemic drugs. Since your mother has already been on the antiviral medicines, I would have to wonder if a short course of prednisone would help her. (Timing is important...the sooner she gets on this, the more chance it has of helping her). Personally, I treat all of my shingles patients who are over 60 y/o with prednisone, in order to avoid PHN (post herpetic neuralgia). Good luck.
we were talking about this yesterday. my gran said, that you take milk and u no the stuff that hindus use to put on the middle of the forehead.(sorry i forget the name of it), mix it together and rub it, it then goes away.
Geraniums are supposed to be good - rub some into her feet or get the oil from some airy-fairy alternative hippy-dippy shop and use some in the bath ... Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment